Monday, July 27, 2015

An update..

Lot's of things happened and are happening. On the hardware side of things.. I found a proper quality 3.5" HDD/ATA enclosure with a good quality PCB (Initio chipset). It includes a power adapter and proper shielded cables. I also found a distributor who is able to deliver the needed amount, they even have stock in Europe.. I'll be placing my order next month. Of course my adapter (as seen in my previous post) still needs to be modified in order to fit this PCB, but there will be no problems there.


I also received my first "sample" batch of 10 x PS3 BluRay drives. Although the laser lenses are all brand new and they actually all seem to work, the enclosures look a bit rough on the outside.. So I have a second batch of sample drives coming from a different supplier. Which actually claim they have brand new PS3 BluRay drives in stock. Let's wait and see. Btw. import taxes are a pain!


Software is going well too. I have portable (Linux/OSX/Windows) prototype code working (borrowed from glevand's Linux code) that does drive authentication. Without drive authentication you won't be able to read anything from the drive, this is the first step in the authentication process. The second is SACD disc authentication. Last year I refactored the anergistic emulator from the fail0verflow team and I'm now able to do native PS3 SACD/BluRay handshaking on the PC. After the handshaking procedure has finished running within the emulator. I'm now able to extract the AES key/iv from SPU anergistic emulator memory and resume with native AES decryption on the PC. I've also written portable drive firmware update routines (again borrowed from glevand) which are needed for disc authentication to work on the latest SacModule (PS3 module that is responsible for handshaking). Yesterday I also wrote and tested some routines to select the SACD layer (this code is actually missing from the current PS3 ripping software). In my prototype I'm now actually able to extract SACD's on the PC! If this all sounds to complicated for you, don't worry the GUI will have all this functionality behind the click of a button.

Although I'm making progress, I'm aware (from reading the last posts) there is negativity flowing around on the computeraudiophile forum. If you have "committed" yourself to this project but you're tired of waiting, please send a mail to mr_wicked@hotmail.com I'll remove you from the list.

I also read about that Toshiba SE-506, my advice is not to waste any time on that. Drives that are able to read SACD's is nothing new and this has already been done in the past. Drives that are actually able to decrypt SACDs are non existent (at least that I'm aware of, off course with the exception of the PS3 BluRay drive).

fyi. My wife gave birth to a beautiful and happy baby boy the 9th of July.

23 comments:

  1. If someone drops out, you can double up for me!

    Congrats on all fronts.

    KR

    ReplyDelete
  2. rj and KR have said much the same as I was thinking. It will be fascinating to follow you through this little puzzle. I think there's actually been very little negativity at CA, and don't let what little there is worry you.

    Congratulations on your beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news on the project - and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds killer! If possible would also be great to be able to run whatever program you are setting up for doing the extraction via a shell script, such that one can put in the sacd, have it rip out the sacd layer and encode it, and spit out the disk without ever having to touch the computer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, great news all around. Congrats! Oh, and July 9 is a Fantastic birthdate ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing! Congratulations on both the project and the kid! Also, if you need any help software wise I'm studying CS and would be happy to help with anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ignore the naysayers! I'm sure I speak for others when I say we appreciate your efforts and will be happy to pay you for the finished product when it is ready.

    Congrats on your son1

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations. I AM moving to the USA in two weeks time. Can't wait to have my drive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations. I AM moving to the USA in two weeks time. Can't wait to have my drive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations. I AM moving to the USA in two weeks time. Can't wait to have my drive :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My best congratulations for the baby and for the progress of your project!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations mate on the birth of your child. Keep up the good work. I very much appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mr. Wicked
    I have one plexter premium CD ROM for ripping cd
    Can you suggest IDE TO USB converter to me?
    In Hong Kong i can buy it on taobao
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mr. Wicked
    I have one plexter premium CD ROM for ripping cd
    Can you suggest IDE TO USB converter to me?
    In Hong Kong i can buy it on taobao
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have 2 old 60GB PS3 with failed GPU, the drive can be reuse here?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the birth of your son and all the best to the whole family.
    Is there any visibility on the ETA of the project? My PS3 just did the dreaded YLOD and I am wondering whether it is worth it to search for another FW3.55 PS3, or better wait for the USB SACD ripper?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on your son. For the benefit of the next generation of audiophiles (and father-son bonding), keep the faith and pass it on to him as soon as he can safely hold test probes ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you need help testing or otherwise, I would be willing to help! Just let me know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. JUst found your blog, any up date thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well, today is officially 1 year past the last update. I'm now guessing this project is officially dead?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think the project is pretty much dead.

    ReplyDelete